Established as the first community college in San Diego and the fifth in California, San Diego City College began with 34 students and 4 faculty members on September 8th, 1914. San Diego Junior College started as the fifth and sixth year of San Diego High School, in what was then the “Old Gray Castle” on Russ Boulevard. Without a permanent home for its first 40-some years, City College moved to various locations including the San Diego State Teacher’s College, the Spreckels Theatre on Broadway, a former lamp factory at Market and State Street, and the old Lincoln Elementary School at 12th and E Streets. Finally, in the 1950s, the first 3.35 acres was purchased just south of Russ Boulevard, and the “T” and “A” buildings were opened in 1956 at the college’s current location on Park Boulevard. City College has grown to 60 acres and welcomes 18,000 students each semester. The college has recently undergone the largest construction transformation in the history of the college, including five new classroom buildings and renovating eight others.
Learn more about the remarkable History of City College over the past 10 decades by pre-ordering the 260-page commemorative table-top book—The San Diego City College Story - A Centennial History.
Books will be sold at the City College Book Store and at Centennial events